Friday, November 18, 2011

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Today was not a banner day at the storage.  Well maybe it was better than I think, but it did kinda suck for my flags.  Some day I will start paying attention to the wind advisories.
I fly two flag everyday, from wall mounted holders, currently it is the American flag and the Oklahoma flag.  I realized I might be having problems when I looked out the window  and could not see the Oklahoma flag.  I did find it in the bushes with a broken wooden flag poll.  It must have been one serious gust of wind to snap a three quarter wooden flag pool. Now I am not the kind of guy to panic about the wind, I grew up in Oklahoma.  I also don't like being told what I can or can not do,  Knowing that the Oklahoma flag was on a old flag poll that was already slightly damaged, I figured that the wind would not be strong enough to break a second Flag poll.  So I quickly pulled out the Marine Flag, that was just finished being patched up, and placed it out on the wall.  The wind was really kicking up and I as I stood in my office watching the Red and Gold colors of the Marine Corps flag stand straight and proud I new that that flag poll was not going to break.  How right I was, for 10 minutes latter  I was picking the Marine Corps flag up from the parking lot where it had had finely landed and realized that where-as the flag poll hand held up fine the metal flag holder had snapped in half.  With this I did give in and bring in  all the flags for the rest of the day.

Moral of this story... The Marines are tougher than steel and don't you forget that.

The other bit of news is that we just had an auction on the 15th, and I don't get people.  People really think that "Storage Wars" are real.  What a load of crap.  Hollywood can cook up some real stink but this is to much. People! think about it, would you even show up to an auction if you didn't have a clue what was going to be there? You are not going to buy a space for $20  and make a million from it.  You can make a very good living buying and selling peoples junk, but it is like any other business, it takes time and you have to know what you are doing. Never, never, never try to bull shit a storage manager, they have already seen it and they simply don't care.  I will defiantly have to go into more detail latter on auctions.  How to stay out of them and how to be a buyer in one.

2 comments:

  1. And you have to be willing to work VERY HARD at it. It's not a GET rich quick solution or job. Cleaning out others messes is DIRTY work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have met some of the most industrious business people who made a living buying auction spaces for resale. It's because of people like this I get sad when someone says "I can;t find a job".

    ReplyDelete